December 29, 2011

I Resolve...

I am resolved, by the grace of God assisting me, to keep these resolutions
which I have frequently made and do now again renew.


"I am resolved to believe in God, that he is and is a rewarder of all that diligently seek him, to
believe firmly and constantly in all his attributes. I am resolved to fear him
and love him with all the powers and faculties of my soul, and to keep a steady
eye to his commands, and to govern myself in every circumstance of life by the
rules of the gospel of Christ, whose disciple I profess myself and as such will
live and die.


"I am resolved by the divine will not to be anxious or
doubtful, nor to be fearful of any accident or misfortune that may happen to me
or mine, not to regard the frowns of the world, but to keep a steady upright
conduct before my God and before man, doing my duty, and contented to leave the
event to God’s providence.


"I am resolved by the same grace, to govern my
passions, to endeavor constantly to subdue every vice and improve in every
virtue and in order to this I will not give way to any of the least notions of
pride, haughtiness, ambition, ostentation, or contempt of others. I will not
give way to envy, ill-will, evil speaking, in-gratitude, or uncharitableness in
word, in thought, or in deed, or to passion or peevishness, nor to sloth, or
idleness, but will endeavor after all the contrary virtues, humility and
charity, and to always be usefully or innocently employed.


"I am resolved not to be luxurious or extravagant in the management of my table and
family on the one hand, nor niggardly and covetous or too anxiously concerned
about it on the other, but to endeavor after a due medium and manage with
hospitality and generosity as much as is in our power; to have always plenty
with frugality and good economy, to be decent but frugal in my own expenses, to
be charitably disposed to all mankind.


"I am resolved, by the divine assistance, to fill the several stations wherein providence has placed me, to the best advantage, to make a good wife to my dear husband in all its several
branches and to make all my actions correspond with that sincere love and duty I
bear him, to pray for him, to contribute in all my power to the good of his
soul, and to the peace and satisfaction of his mind, to be careful of his health
and of his interests, of his children and his reputation, to do him all the good
in my power, and next to pleasing God, to make it my study to please
him.


"I am resolved to be a good mother to my children, to pray for them,
to set them good examples, to give them good advice, to be careful both of their
souls and bodies, to watch over their tender minds, to carefully root out the
first appearing and buddings of vice, and to instill piety, virtue, and true
religion into them, to spare no pains or trouble to do them good, to correct
their errors, whatever uneasiness it may give myself, and never omit to
encourage every virtue I may see dawning in them.


"I am resolved to make a good sister, both to my own and my husband’s brothers and sisters, to treat
them with affection, kindness, and good manners, and to do them all the good I can.



"I am resolved to make a good mistress to my servants, to treat them
with humanity and good nature, to give them sufficient and comfortable clothing
and provisions, and all things necessary for them, to be careful and tender of
them in their sickness, to reprove them for their faults, to encourage them when
they do well, and pass over small faults, not to be tyrannical, peevish, or
impatient towards them, but to make their lives as comfortable as I
can.


"I am resolved to be a sincere and faithful friend wherever I
profess it, and as much as in me lies as an agreeable and innocent companion and a universal lover of all mankind.


"All these resolutions by God’s assistance I will keep to my life’s end, so help me, oh my God, Amen"


"Memorandum: Read over this daily to assist my memory as to every
particular contained in this paper, before I leave my chamber, recollect in
general the business to be done that day."


~Eliza Lucas Pinckney

0 Modest Musings: