January 11, 2012

Side effects



A byproduct is defined as "Something produced in the making of something else. A secondary result; a side effect."

Lately I have been feeling like I am a byproduct of feminism. What is considered a grand design for a woman's "freedom" and a hope for multi-generational success, I have chosen to live counter-cultural to it's views on womanhood and motherhood.

I am the side-effect in it's ideology.

And "they" don't like it.

"They" are the ones who ask "Do you work?" 

"They" are the ones who wonder about how I get my 'me time' with "all those kids"

"They" are the ones who assume I can "do it all"

But isn't that what "they" wanted?

To do it all?

What is the "it all" and why does mine have to match theirs?

I'm not sure.

I am sure that I do work and that my job carries a great responsibility.
"he said to them, “Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law. They are not just idle words for you-they are your life..."~Deuteronomy 32:46-47

I am sure that I get me me time with the One who deserves it the most.
"Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long."~Psalm 119:97

I am most assured I can't do it all, however, because my strength is not my own.
"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."~2 Corinthians 12:9 

My side-effect-ness is frowned upon with each book read to my babes, each meal I prepare and every laundry load I wash. I hear "tisk-tisk" whispered for encouraging my girls to dress like girls so they can define femininity not androgyny. It is most criticized for willfully submitting to my husband and for honoring his vision.

And so I must always remember, "Am I trying to win the approval of men, or God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of God."~Galatians 1:10

Do you have a side effect? How does it show?

0 Modest Musings: